Friday, July 31, 2009

Flea problems!?

I would normally ask my vet, but it's after hours..
I have a cat, 2 APBTs, 3 6-week old pups, a min pin, and a gerbil. I bought some flea bombs, and my boss gave me some Frontline Plus, and told me it would be alright to put it on the min pin, the cat, and the big dogs.The problem is that I'm a bit uncomfortable about quite a few things;
1) Is it okay to put a tiny bit of the Frontline for dogs on my cat? The package says not to, but my boss said it would be okay, and that she puts it on all of her cats, and she hasn't ever had any problems, but I'm still hesitant.
2) What about my gerbil? Can he get fleas too?
3) Is it okay to put the Frontline on the lactating APBT? The package says to ask a vet. Both her and her pups are very healthy. They are almost entirely on puppy food, but they still nurse a little bit.
4) Finally, what do I do about the puppies? I've considered using a citrus shampoo, but I want something that will prevent reinfestation...

Thank you all very much!!!
Answers:
I work with a cat rescue and we put frontline on cats as young as 2 week old kittens. It is okay to put Frontline on the puppies and their mother. The active ingredients are the same in the dog and cat formula, so you can use the dog stuff on the cat. Many people buy the large dog Frontline and spread it out among many pets because it saves money.

To get rid of fleas in your carpet you can sprinkle it with salt and leave it for an hour then vaccum it up. Good Luck
THE FRONT LINE DROPS FOR CATS IS THE SAME AS THE DROPS FOR DOGS, the difference is the tubes are weight based. you can buy frontline spray for the puppies and iam not sure about using it on the gerbil that you need to ask your vet or call the # on the back of the frontline package.
Get a few flea collars, cut them up in small pieces, and put the pieces inside a new, clean sweeper bag. Then put the sweeper bag on your sweeper and thoroughly sweep the house inclusing bedding, curtains, and furniture. The flea eggs will die.
Frontline is about the only thing i've used on my pets that keeps the fleas away. It kills eggs and all. On your lactating momma, it is alright to use, but I would not put it on the pups until they are older. Any fleas that are on them will jump to the mother and die. They will not be reinfested because once they are on the mother, they die. You don't want to use the dog frontline on your cats and vice versa because the formulation is different for both.
1) What ever you do don't put dog meds on a cat. If you do you can cause them to go into renal failure and your cat can die.

2) I have two gerbils and two cats and two dogs. I have never noticed the gerbils having flees. As long as they are acting healthy I wouldn't worry about it.

3)I would give the vet a call and as their opinion on the puppies and the mom. You can also try fresh garlic. I use that on my two dogs and that seems to help keep the fleas away.

4) Are the puppies infested with fleas. They are so young its going to be hard to treat them. If they are infested really bad then give them the bath but make sure you dry them really well and keep them warm. You may also want to try feeding them a bit of garlic but do a little at a time so their stomachs will adjust to them.

Last word of advice. When in doubt call the vet and ask.
First-soap kills fleas. I have always used Dawn to shampoo %26 kill them if necessary. Never use a dog product on your cat. They are different critters. About the rest I have no idea. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment