Thursday, July 30, 2009

English saddle shopping..?

Hi,
I have been searching for a good yet inexpensive english all purpose saddle, and have been looking on ebay. Came across a few saddles that sound nice, but Im not very familiar with the good brands. A few I am looking at are made by Eldonian Brookes LTD, Crosby, Prestwick, and Courbette. Are these usually good saddles? Which is the best? Any other suggestions? Thanks!!
Answers:
I swear by Corbette but it is expensive. Crosby is a good brand and Prestwick is very nice. As for the other brand i'm not usre. Are you looking for a cheap saddle? If so then definatly a used Corbette. It lasts longer when taken care of a you get what you pay for. My friend had her corbette for 7 years before her leather's cracked. It was amazing to see how long it lasted. Like I said, go used. The saddles may not be shiny but they are broken in and the leather isn't stiff. I'd be careful on e-bay. People sell saddles that are cracked and torn so be sure it is a good seller. Again, go used. If you want something that lasts then go Corbette. If you want shiny then go crosby
My personal favorite is Wintec. I don't think the brand matters as much as the quality, though. I wouldn't advise looking on ebay. Try googling cheap saddles, or looking on statelinetack.com. Make sure it is good quality and the right size. Good luck!

p.s. cloth is better than leather most of the time.
MY SUGGESTION:Don't shop for your saddle on Ebay. I bought one there and it didn't fit. In fact, it took 20 saddles to find ONE that my horse would accept and fit properly. Take your horse with you to a Tack Shop and they'll find one to fit. Good luck.
Crosby's have always been one of my favorite saddle brands. They tend to be pretty pricey new but you can probably find a used one for a reasonable price.
Crosby and Courbette are TOP OF THE LINE saddles (next to dover and Stuuben of course) I'd say go with a courbette, but if you are looking for inexpensive but good-- then I'd look for a collegiate, wintec, thorogood or a thornwood (which run from 300-800 RETAILED, i bet you could find a good used =) )
Don't get a wintec. They are ok for trail riding and very low level showing, but if you plan on being at all serious with your riding then Wintec is not the way to go. They are cheap and tacky.

Crosby's are good saddles, i would deffinitly recomend them as being the best brand you listed, Courbette would be my second choice. Also look into Pessoa's they are very nice saddles, fairly middle range in price and last forever.
my favorite website for inexpensive horse equipment and tack, www.horseloverz.com . i find their stuff cheap but good quality. check it out.
Courbette, crosby, griffith and wintec are all brands I like, but I wouldn't buy one on Ebay. Usually, you can not try out the saddle or return it if it doesn't fit correctly. Plus, you should sit in the saddle first- all the seat sizes are slight different, and all position you in different ways.

Most of the time, I have to try 3-4 different saddles to find one that fits both me and the horse well.
Thorogood is an excellent brand, the synthetic leather looks and feels like the real thing. I bought mine for 220 dollars. I have used it often for 2 years, and it looks like new.
www.chubbypony.com has great stuff and has very reasonable prices. Check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment