Thursday, July 30, 2009

Evidence of Giant Black Cats in Australia?

Hi!

I'm an Aussie (and proud of it) and last night while I was watching A Current Affair they had a feature on huge black cats that have been spotted and filmed lurking around in the bush, stalking kangaroos and scratching trees and stuff.

The evidence looked really compelling - particularly the footage of the black cat stalking a kangaroo, as it allowed us to see their comparitive sizes (the black cat was about the size of a smallish leopard) and prooved that the footage was definately shot in Australia.

They even had casts of 'big cat' footprints, and showed a couple of cows with huge scratch marks on their necks and backs (what else could have done that?)

Do you believe this is possible? How on earth would giant black cats have arrived in Australia in the first place? How is it that none have yet been caught and studied?
I find this really hard to believe but as I said, the video footage shown seemed pretty genuine.

I find this totally fascinating.
Thanks!
Answers:
I missed ACA last night but have seen the promos. Yes, it did look very compelling to me as well. One theory that I have heard is that there were a few brought over during and shortly after WW2 with yankee soldiers. Way back before Aus had such stringent import-export laws. I don't know if I am 100% convinced, but. who knows. I mean we still hear the odd anecdotal sighting of Tassie Tigers in Tassie. I'd like to think they are around, but we could do without the big cats! Good on ya for being a proud Aussie! I am a Texan by birth.an Aussie by choice!
The theory is that they were released from private zoo collections by rich bastards, but until they actually do catch one it's hard to say. I do believe it's possible for these things to exist and I think they will get one eventually; if people can film them, then surely someone can catch one.
I heard just a smattering on the news a few days back. My grand daughter is in Australia doing her schooling, so it concerned me. Hope for more info. Thanks for bringing it up.
I live in South Georgia, USA. Scientists claim there is no proof of a large black cat in our area, yet we have numerous reports of what people around here call a black panther.
There is no such thing as a black panther, according to science. The only black cat is a jaguar or melanated leopard, they say.
I am a news reporter and have written articles and am currently collecting research on this. I've interviewed several who have seen large black - and tan - cats in our area. And two years ago, my brother and I SAW ONE - the size of a pit bulldog. Definitely black, and definitely a cat.
My theory is ... in the 1940's a group of jaguarundis - a South American wild cat - were released in Florida. (This is a fact). I believe these jaguarundis interbred with the Florida panther and that is the black/dark gray cat we're seeing.
But as for Australia .. .I don;t think they can swim THAT well!

No comments:

Post a Comment