Friday, July 31, 2009

Ferret digging. Any suggestions?

Whenever I let my little girl fert out, she starts digging at the berber around my furniture. She's just about ruined the carpet in certain spots.

I've tried spraying vinegar and water solution around the base of the furniture, but after it dried, she went back to digging. And it's not like she's trying to fit under the furniture because she can fit under just fine.

Can experienced ferret owners tell me A) why she's doing it and B) how to get her to stop?
Answers:
Haha...little jerks aren't they? lol J/K I love my fuzzies even if they are bad.

http://www.medi-vet.com/ferretoff.aspx...

This link is for "Ferret Off". I have never used it but have heard people recomend it. The only thing is...I think it is meant only to eliminate odors of where a ferret "went" to prevent them from "going" there again.

Ferrets dig...in fact, there is no real way of stopping them. I have one digger. His name is Wolly-Bear. He only does it at doors. You can buy those clear-floor mat-thingies. I had to place one at my bedroom door. You can probably put them under the legs of your furniture. It does absolutely nothing for my decor and probably won't help yours BUT atleast he won't dig through the carpet! LOL A month or so later I was able to take it away and he has "forgotten" about digging there.

Try providing a 'dig box' for your ferts. Take a large cardboard box. Cut a ferret size hole in each side of the box. (About half way up the box) Fill the box with rice, sand (the kind for kids sand boxes), styrofoam peanuts, ping-pong balls...pretty much anything they can take their digging aggression out on. I prefer rice. It vaccuums up easily if it gets outside of the box. Its cheap. It doesn't get stuck in their eyes or nose AND it actually helps absorb some of the ferrets stinky oils from their fur. If you decide to use the styrofoam packing peanuts just keep in mind you will need a watchful eye. If they chew and swallow pices of them its bad news. Some ferrets can use them without incedent.

I hope one or both of these suggestions works for you!
YEAH MAN
it is a natural instinct for them to want to dig- you can try to make her a dig box I have one that is an old disinfected litterbox with shredded newspaper in it- you can also use rice or macaroni but with those you have to make sure she doesn't injest anything. Anyway there's no real way to make her stop but you can save your carpet by getting a plastic computer chair mat and cut strips and lay it where she's digging- she won't like the feeling and if she continues at least she's not ruining anything I wish you luck
I have 3 ferrets ..
The digging is just a natural thing that they do looking for food and something to play with...I usually start to wrestle with mine when I find them digging any where,.What I found slows the digging down is to keep a rubber maid tote with rice in there cage...they love it plus it helps cut the smell too..Mine dig, role,burrow and wrestle in there "rice pit"...good luck

No comments:

Post a Comment