Thursday, July 30, 2009

Encouragement of Riding!!!!!!! With Ponies?

My daughter, Cassie wants to learn how to ride, but she's afraid to ride her own pony, Darling!!! That's the horse (pony) she trusts most, but she is afraid to ride her. I don't want to force her, but day after day, she says "Mom, please teach me how to ride!" I'll say yes, but as soon as I but the saddle on Darling she changes her mind. She won't ride any other horses, even the riding lesson horses. I don't know what to do, its so confusing. I considered lessons for her, but she said she only can ride Darling. And I'd hate to force her. Please tell me what to do!!
Answers:
When I was about seven years I discovered horses and insisted that I was going to be the worlds best rider. As much as I loved them though the second I got up into the saddle all of my confidence disappeared. Perhaps your daughter is just nervous about being on a horse?

My instructor started me out by putting me in the saddle and leading me around her ranch. At that time she just wanted me to focus on being comfortable in the saddle and understanding that the horse was not going to hurt me.

We also worked a lot on how to handle/care for the horses off of the saddle and it showed me that they relied on my help to live. Afterwards I felt that because they had confidence in me to help them I could have confidence in them to help me become a better, stronger, rider.

Just take your time with your daughter, and make sure that she is comfortable on the ground and in the saddle. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment