Friday, July 31, 2009

Exterem Hoof growth?

I have a beautiful gelding that I am starting endurence training with. I am having a ferrier come out to show him in two weeks and have concerns with his feet. He has been free ranged for several years by an older friend with a replaced hip. He got behind doing the feet on all the horses. End result: overgrown hoofs on my guy with long and wide hoof walls and an overly deep frog. He has many cracks and what not. I have had regular foot work since I brought him off the mountian(8months)having the ferrier out every 6weeks. Any sucess with suppliments or hoof treatments? Is there hope? Any other experiences or advice on this matter?
Answers:
Your farrier will know best.

As you didnt state what country you live in its rather impossible to suggest names of suppliments and stuff, but your local tack store could offer you advice or talk to other horse owners in your area.
I think thge best person to ask would be the farrier. I guess he is cutting them back gradually, cornucrescine grease would probably help and possibly biotin in his feed - I use these on hoof cracking problems but have never had this problem with long overgrown feet.
Good luck
Time, good feed, daily cleaning of the hooves, and a balanced diet will do the trick. Do you live in a dry area or wet? Your shoer will play a big part in his hooves returning to normalcy, time is the biggest factor. You or he will not be able to fix it all overnight. Biotin supplements are supposed to be great for helping strengthen the hoof and promote growth. Good luck it sounds like you are on the right track!

No comments:

Post a Comment