Thursday, July 30, 2009

English riding questions?

I've been taking English riding lessons for about a 1 1/2 yrs now, 30 min 1x/ week.

Right now, I'm working on a five jump course (2 - 2.5 feet at highest). I don't have any friends that ride, so I have a few issues I'd like an opinion on before I ask my instructor:

1) she seems to have skipped teaching me to ride without stirrups - should I request to learn to do that? I've just gotten the hang of doing a good sitting trot, and I'm very comfortable at the canter.

2) I'd like to learn to gallop. Is that something I can ask my instructor for? Since she's a show jumping instructor, is that inappropriate?

3) The horse I ride has been starting to refuse jumps a lot lately (apparently with all his riders not just me). I'm still working on getting a feel for setting up the jump right (keeping my back straight and not leaning forward, counting steps, putting even weight on both heels, more leg on the side he refuses to, looking beyond the jump). He's a forward jumping horse, and I ...
Answers:
1)My thoughts on riding without stirrups is that it is a must. It can help you in a tight spot when in courses and in general. I would even go as far as learning to jump without stirrups(once your solid in your position on flat w/out stirrups and in jumping in general)
2) There isnt much use for galloping in the ring unless its for fun (safety first of course)
hand-galloping would be something you might consider asking your trainer about. It is good to know in jumpers classes and it is even called for in some flat classes
3) For the refusing it can be hard to sort out if their are several other people riding the horse. I would suggest however giving light half halts on either side with your reins and opening them a little ways from where they normaly are

I hope this helps Good Luck!
school horses experience many different riders with different hands and signals. Perhaps the horse you are using is staring to 'sour' from too many riders. I have seen this happen a lot with school horses and those at riding stables. Also the horse may be sensing some nervousness or hesitation upon approaching the jump that you are not consciously aware of. Be patient and keep trying.
You should ABSOLUTELY request instruction on no stirrups. My instructor wouldn't even let me do the cavaletti (sp?) rails without first being comfortable and balanced in both a sitting and posting trot without stirrups. I had the hardest time with posting with no stirrups, but now, I can totally feel how much better my balance is.

As far as galloping goes, slow down! I'd say put that at the bottom of your list for now. I would definitely concentrate on the no stirrups thing. That is SOOO important.

Good luck!!
1) Yes you should ask to do some no stirrup riding, it will help deepen your seat, and really get you in touch with the horse.
2) It doesn't matter if your instructor is a show jumper, she should be able to teach you to gallop.
3) Could be that this horse is getting a little stale, and getting fed up with jumping.
Do you, and the horses, ride out of the arena at all? Sounds like you could all do with riding out and doing something different.
You school horse most likely is being overworked, or is just getting tired of all the different riders, non of them knowing what he is doing. It is hard work being a lesson horse.
Do ask about riding without stirrups. It will really help your balance. It also helps with teaching not to jump ahead since you can't brace against the stirrups. Many students complain about not having stirups so some intsrtcutors give in, and just stop asking the students to it.
As for galloping that comes much later, take your time. As a show jumping instructor she should know how to do, since you have to get around the course quickly. She probably hasn't taught you, beacuse your most likely not ready for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment