Friday, July 31, 2009

Feeding ferrets bones...?

i recently read the section in Ferrets for Dummies about giving ur ferret bones. i just wanted to know what ur opinion on this topic was. do u give ur ferrets bones??
Answers:
SOFT bones is what they mean. The more cartilage-like ones. I think it is acceptable if you add it while making Duck Soup...you end up blending it up in the blender so there is no real risk of blockages, splintering, etc.

Keep in mind that if you didn't start your ferret on meats and Duck Soup early in life you will have a problem doing it later. Ferrets "learn" what food is when they are babies...when they are not given options and are fed only kibble and treats then they become a tad picky. All-in-all if you use a high quality ferret food you do not even need to utilize fresh meats or Duck Soup. A ferret can be perfectly healthy on kibble. I did mention it has to be high quality, right? :) I like Ennova Evo for ferrets. High protein, low carb...its what ferrets need. When looking for a high quality food for ferrets the first 3 or 4 ingredients should be meat based. No corn, wheat, fruits, or veggies in the top 3 or 4.

Good luck!
I don't personally give my ferrets bones. I don't feel they're safe enough and could cause intestinal blockages or perforations. Healthy chew treats that I would suggest are N-Bone chicken chew sticks, Foamy Fries, and Cheweasels.
I have never heard this, nor do I give my 2 fuzzues any bones. You should never give them anything they can chew appart, shread, splinter, etc. I could see them being very dangerous to the little guys. Mine do have a nylabone to chew on should they choose, but they usually just hide it. If your ferret(s) seem to want to chew on something, try one of the kong-type rings made for extra small dogs. I am not sure of the brand or exact name of them right now, but I will check and repost it tomorrow morning. You should be able to find them at your local pet store. They are tough and durable, and will stand up to the little buggers. You will not need to worry about a chunk of it breaking off and blocking their digestive tract. Hope this helps, and best of luck with your weasle(s)!


Meat should be ok, as long as it is not fried, saturated, or anything like that. Do make sure it is thouroughly cooked, though! I have tried tuna and chicken with my 2, but they just ignore it. If you are looking to add a little protein, try peanut butter. Mine go nuts for it!
Never heard of giving ferret bones... I wouldnt- dont think it would be safe for them. I have had 3 ferrets and 2 have died-at the age of 12-wondeful pets- And the one i have left i give him meat- really loves beef. He does well on most everything - carrots he loves too. Id stay away from the bones though.
Uncooked bones is probably what was meant. For example, you can give dogs raw chicken legs, bones and all, but not cooked cause the cooked bones get hard and splinter while the uncooked are soft and digestable. The same can be given to ferrets I'd imagine. Ferrets for Dummies is a great book and I'd trust it.

No comments:

Post a Comment