Friday, July 31, 2009

FFA Queston??

I am going to show a pig and I get it by next month. I am so excited. Question:A company is going to buy it and they always give back the animals. What should I do with it after??? I don't live on land but I would hate to butcher a pig that I got money for...Its like unnecessarily slaughtering something. Any ideas would be great!~
Answers:
I raised pigs for FFA and currently live in the swine unit at UC Davis. When I was in FFA, I started breeding projects. If you get a female, you can artificially inseminate her and then sale the babies to other FFA and 4-H kids. That way you can keep her and she's making you money at the same time. You also can show her again that way as a breeding project and if she becomes familiar enough with you, breeding projects usually make better showmanship animals, so you will do better in showmanship too.
First, you might check the fair rules. Our fair is terminal for swine- meaning that any swine that comes on the grounds is sent for slaughter, whether it makes the sift or not.
Also, when a buyer here turns back an animal there is usually a contractor that has bid for the returned animals and they get them at the accepted floor price, not the original seller.
And finally, I am assuming you are raising a market animal. Part of this is accepting the fact that your animal will be used for consumption. If it is used for food it is not unnecessary slaughter!
So check your rule book first thing...you may not have to worry about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment