Thursday, July 30, 2009

Egg eating snakes?

I want to find a pet snake that doesn't eat mice of any kind. So far I have found an egg eating snake but I cant find any where to buy one in my area. Do you know of any other snakes that I could get?
Answers:
specialized egg eating snakes are rare in the wild, so they would not be good pets.

Mice are the most nutritionally balanced for a snake. Most will eat minnows, chicks, insects, etc as well, but they are not as good for them.
What about feeding frozen mice? If you have an issue with feeding them, thaw out a mouse and then put it in the cage at night- by morning, you see nothing.
at the pet store I use to frequent, they had a garter snake (not for sale- it was the store's pet for educational purposes.)

they said most species of garter snakes eat a variety of foods but others are quite specialized. For example, while the various races of the eastern garter snake eat worms, frogs, toads, salamanders, fish, gastropods, probably some insects and, in the west, nestling rodents, the diet of the short-headed garter snake seems to consist primarily of earthworms. The various ribbon snakes may hold out for minnows, tadpoles and small frogs.

The diet of captive garter snakes also varies by species. Most live long lives on minnows, earthworms and an occasional slug.

Are you against feeding live mice? Did you consider maybe frozen mice? Some do fine eating frozen mice. or are you against the mice thing period?

What about a lizard like a chinese water dragon, bearded dragon, uromastyx or such? A bearded dragon is a very loving friendly reptile- to me the dog of the reptile world- hardy, lives off of fruits/vegetation and crickets, meal worms/wax worms as treats...and they adore people. I've known some who actually started wagging their butts at the sight of their human and the only thing they liked to do was climb all over them.

My Iguana east various fruits and veggies. I make sure to give her enough calcium and such to her dietary needs, and vary up the fruits and veggies she gets and she's a healthy 10 year old grandma.

I'd look into all avenues if you're squeemish for any reason about feeding mice to a snake. You want to make sure you can be happy with the pet you choose, so they can be the happiest they can be with you as well.

All the pets I have I absolutely adore and have never regretted a moment of having them.

whatever you decided just make sure you research. there's a lot of internet resources available. feel free to email me too if you have questions on beardies or iguanas. I've been raising reptiles all my life... mostly those two. just click my profile and hit email.

good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment