Friday, July 31, 2009

Ferrets at PetSmart NOT Marshall or PVF?

Over the weekend, I made another addition to my growing ferret family. I bought an 8-month-old boy ferret from PetSmart in Hattiesburg, MS. When I asked the saleslady if he was a Marshall ferret (due to lack of signature ear tattooing) she said no. He's not a Path Valley Farms ferret either!

She said that he's a "Rainbow" ferret (which I believe because he is humongous!). Has anyone ever heard of them?

She also said that PetSmart gets most of their small pets from smaller, private breeders. Does anyone else know anything about this?
Answers:
Well.
While working at Petsmart all of our small animals came from "Rainbow." And from the amount of Petsmarts in the US, I do not assume it's a small breeder. Most of the small animals we received, though, were in great condition and health.

Our store never had ferrets. (We had far too high a pet loss and a petcare manager who was too dumb to care for anything more expensive than the guinea pigs.)

I was never told we only received animals from smaller or private breeders. It seemed to me that were shipped from a large breeding facility, because even though most of the animals were in good condition, some had wet tail, some were sent pregnant and still other times we were sent males, though the store was strictly female only pets.
Perhaps I just don't know much about breeders, though. =)
I hope you find something...I haven't heard of them or been able to find anything on-line about them. I did learn something interesting in regards to smaller breeders though! Marshall Farms is disguising their business by sending breeder ferrets to smaller breeders and sharing the profit. In other words...one of my ferts -- kevvy-kev, came from a local 'mom-and-pop' store. That store buys from a 'small breeder' BUT that small breeder is supplied by Marshall Farms. Even though they say they get ferrets from a small breeder doesn't necessarily mean it didn't 'really' come from Marshall Farms.

Sad but true...Marshalls really is the HUGEST breeder in the world. Sad because they suck for sooooo many reasons. Very irresponsible company. :(

By the way...that fuzzy you got, he isn't tattooed? Is he neutered and descented? I've heard of ferrets being tattooed on the pads of their feet. Maybe you could check for markings there?

No comments:

Post a Comment