Friday, July 31, 2009

Ferrets. How do I keep my 8yr.old from going overbored when my ferret jumps?

We just bought a ferret. my daughter who usually has no problem with him, until he goes after her. He'll usually goes after her feet and I've told her to wear her slippers around him. She runs screaming and he thinks it's a game.He doesn't bite he just has a thing for white socks.
Answers:
Ferrets generally are not good pets for kids for just this reason. Kids don't understand that they're playing. Your ferret is going to be rambunctious for the majority of his life - they don't "grow out of it" like kittens or puppies. Maybe you should've thought about this possibility a bit more before you got your fert.

There's not much you can do except for keep your daughter and the ferret apart. Or you could try and educate your daughter, but it sounds like you've already tried and she's still scared.
Cut his teeth out of his head and replace them with sponges.
Your ferret sounds so cute. I guess she will get used to it after a while.
That'd be scary even to me! Slippers are a good idea or buy her some darker socks!
i think you need to find out how to train it (the ferret, not the kid lol ) i would scream if it was coming after my feet too. i have heard those things can bite pretty badly.
i have 5 ferrets right now and have grown up with them for about 10 years now and they make awesome pets! When your daughter acts like that put the ferret up until she calms down that or have her tuck her feet under her so that way it can not get to the feet. But if it keeps on coming after the feet pick it up and look it in the face and tell it no sternly and put it in its cage for a while and keep doing that. eventually it will put one with the other that what it is not doing is not good. good luck and enjoy your ferret! any other questions feel free to ask!
Your ferret sounds young. Your daughter should drag a sock around tied with a piece of string so that the game is mutually enjoyed. I raised ferrets for several years, and I can tell you that when they are young they are very playful, but sometimes they become jealous of children. I had one who bit my daughter every time I left them in the same room alone. Here is another piece of invaluable information. Ferrets get lost easily. They slip through a door so quickly that you may not notice it for quite some time, but here is a sure fire way to retrieve your missing pet. Get a soft baby toy that squeaks and if your pet gets lost squeak the toy. Once he hears that squeak he'll come running. I think it sounds like a baby ferret in distress. Be careful though, some ferrets get so excited that they may bite. Even the fur gets puffy when they come running back to you! Try it with your ferret. I've never known this method to fail. I live in the woods and onetime my plumber let one of my ferrets outdoors by mistake. He was gone for hours. I took a squeaky toy and squeaked it for more than an hour but once my pet heard the noise, he came running back . Good luck, ferrets are wonderful pets..now I have parrots!
ferrets are extremely social animals. they love to play. i originally had one and a few months later i got another one. even tho i love playing with them its nice to see them jump around and play with eachother. especially when i let them out of their cage and i dont always have the time to play with them. i know have three and its like the 3 stooges watching them rough play. its also cute to see them sleeping together all wrapped around eachother.

No comments:

Post a Comment