Monday, May 24, 2010

Hamster Help!?

Hi, I just got a hamster from my cousin. She's a dwarf hamster and she is extreamly fat. I don't know why, but she eats and eats and eats and eats, she almost lookes pregnant and she is like nesting in the corner of her cage. I don't think that she is pregnant, but my cousins sister has a male hamster. I don;t think they ever put them together. Well, I really need some help, I don't want my baby to eat herself to death!
Answers:
Does your new hamster have a wheel to run on? That may help her get into shape and lose some weight. What kind of food are you feeding her? If it contains sunflower seeds they tend to make rodents gain a lot of weight. I don't think that your hamster is pregnant my hamsters make nest like beds and one is a male. So don't worry. Lastly try to limit the amount of food/treat that you're giving her. Possibly give her some fresh fruits and veggies, not a lot but it's good for them in small amounts. GOOD LUCK!
Best call would probably be to take it to the vet or at least call a vet nearby and ask them over the phone and see what they think. I had a hamster but it spend most of its time running around in the cage, eating and sleeping and it was never a fat one. My call would be to call the vet and ask?
She is probably pregnant. That's why she might be eating a lot. She needs LOTS of protein. Don't handle her, just leave her to do her job. P.S. all hammies make a nest even if their not pregnant.
Hello,
First off, I have had Russian Dwarf hamsters and I know they love to eat. But don't let her fool you, she is not as big as she looks. They like to store the food in their cheeks and their cheeks run almost half the lenght of their bodies. They are like chipmunks in that way. In the wild, food might not always be around and so when they find it, they stuff it in their cheeks and will hide in somewhere so they have it for later. If you just got her, she might not feel comfortable enough to hide her food yet and that's why she is carrying it around with her all of the time.

It's always possible that if she was in the same cage with the male that she could be pregnant. You will need to check with your cousin to make sure of that. I had two Russian dwarves who were babies when I got them and unfortunately, they had babies. Just make sure if she does have babies not to put the male in with her. The male ate one of the babies and it was the most horrific thing I have ever seen.
I would ask your cousin if the two hamsters were ever in the same cage. She could be pregnant, although hamsters build nests with tissue or papertowel cardboard tubes. It is possible she is justing making a comfortable, private place for herself. If she is fat, I would suspect she may be pregnant. None of my hamsters every ate so much they got fat. They will stuff their cheeks with food and stash it...be sure she is eating all that you think. She may be storing it in her cheeks.
If you can hold her and most of the weight is her back end, she may be pregnant.
I also would consider another female companion, dwarf hamsters like company.
if shes pulling out her furr and making a nest shes definitley pregnant unless she doesnt have bedding in her cage well try not giving her so much food you never know maybe she isnt a dwarf after all
pregnant! ask your cousin if she wants the babies, becus your description is telling everything that a pregnant hamster does so good luck!!!
I would maybe make a call to the vet. My hamster however is male and almost always builds a nest in the corner of her cage. and my hamster is also really fat, could just have something to do with fat hamsters liking to make corner nest in their cage. lol. About her weight, I would add a exercice ball if you dont already have one, and put her in a hamster ball once a day or so and so. I would cut back on the food a little, do not refill the dish if its empty because many hamster move their hamster food to a different location in their cage, so make sure she is actually eating it first but still cut down a little on the food, she should get better.
If she is pregnant you would definately know as she would give birth very soon - as dwarf hamsters pregnancy last for 18 days only and only in the last few day the female gets very fat! But she gets fat at the bottom part of her body and not in all her body! So I think that she is only fat - my male dwarf hamster is fat too and eats a lot too - so I think that yours is only fat (if all her body is fat and not only the bottom part) - Just give her a wheel to exercise on to - Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment