Monday, May 24, 2010

Hamster Biting- how to get her to stop?

My Hamster is biting. I got her on the 6th %26 I just started holding her yesterday.Only cause the pet store told me to wait a week to hold her to get her use to the envirment shes in.But I couldn't wait a week shes too cute :-) Anyway, she keeps biting me or it could be nibbiling whichever.Im just wondering how I get her to stop biting me? She doesn't seem to bite my husband %26 everytime I hold her she seems towant to bite me? I don't know if its because of the stuff I have on my hands( I think its Eczemia) or she just don't like me
Answers:
Hamster biting was the number one reason people returned them when I worked at a pet store. The biggest thing to remember is that hamsters have very poor vision and therefore act mostly on smell. Keeping this in mind be sure to wash your hands immediately before handling her so that your hands don't smell like food, may help to avoid fruit flavored soap as well. Other things that help are providing more hiding spaces in the cage to increase the comfort level, attract her attention and then take her out rather then just removing her from her nest.

Good luck!
Try this:
http://www.celiahaddon.co.uk/pet%20probl...
B ite it back
Stop holding her and she won't bite you!
hold her more often til she is used to you handling her
My hamster favoured my husband over me at the begining, cheeky rascal, but he has never bitten in the whole year we've had him!

The good news is, she is tame with your hubby (GRRR!!) so all you need to do is bribe her! oh yes, the way to a hamsters heart is well and truly through there stomach. Once my little harry realised I was the one feeding him and cleaning him every week he soon changed his mind on who he loved the most ( he chewed a hole through my husbands 拢130 French connection jeans this week!!! )

Let her feed from your hand every day. They adore yogurt drops, brocolli, bananas, cucumber and mushrooms so use these to get her used to your hand and also your scent, as you have to remember hamsters are actually partially blind, so they respond to sound and smell. Also talk to her alll the time. Its strange, but hamsters respond to their name being said and hearing your voice. I promise she will be your best friend in no time! good luck!
What type of hamster is it? If it is a Syrian they usually do not bite. If it is a Dwarf they are very territorial and more aggressive. However any hamster will bite if frightened, startled or smells something they want to eat. Do you have hand cream on? If you do wash your hands completely before handling your hamster and see if that changes. If it doesn't then I suggest taking a small piece of Tofu and hand feeding her the Tofu. She will forget about biting you and start to associate you with the Tofu. Don't let your husband give her Tofu.

If your hamster is a Dwarf DO NOT GIVE: Carrots, yogurt drops, hamster honey treats, raisins. The sugar content of these items is way too high and Dwarf Hamsters especially are more at risk of Diabetes. Syrian Hamsters also run the risk of developing so if you really want to give treats give them Tofu, Broccolli, Sunflower seeds (in moderation does not allow calcium to absorb in their bodies and makes their teeth weaker.) Pumpkin seeds.

1 comment:

  1. My Dwarf hampster bites me all the time and would wear wollen gloves but i lost one and now he bites the other hand ! i know he likes me so i have been told its the salt in my swet that he likes

    ReplyDelete