Saturday, May 22, 2010

Guinea pigs and toilet paper rolls...?

I cleaned my guinea pig's cage today and put in a toilet paper roll as a new toy. She's really quiet now and just sits in the corner next to the toilet paper roll, and nudges and sniffs it every so often...she's calmer than usual. Is it possible that she thinks of it as another guinea pig or something? If not...what's wrong?
Answers:
I've used toilet paper rolls as toys for my pigs. Some of them knock it around with their noses and have a ball with it and some of them act like I just threw a hungry wolverine in the pen! Try stuffing it with a little hay %26 see if she doesn't enjoy playing with it.

Since cavies are herd animals and do best in pairs, may I suggest getting your piggie a same-sex friend? There are many piggies available for adoption on www.petfinder.com I'll be willing to bet you'll really enjoy watching them interact with each other. You'll see your piggie "come to life" when she gets a buddy. Sows are usually really easy about new cagemates. A few shavings may fly at first, but introductions are usually overwith quickly and they become best friends!
nothings wrong shes just checking out her new toy, chances are tomorow she might be trying to hide in it mine loved them!
haha, maybe...I have had that happen to my piggies before...I remember I put this little stuffed mouse in their cage and they were sleeping next to it and sniff it all the time! I thought it was interesting. Yeah but she is probably just fine!
i think its high on the smell of the toilet paper
she's calm and not aggitated by it so i wouldn't worry too much - who knows what goes on in the minds of guinea pigs :). it's possible she thinks it's another animal or perhaps it smells like you or something. it may be her knew best friend or she may decide to rip it apart tomorrow like she is supposed to.

No comments:

Post a Comment