Saturday, May 22, 2010

Guinea pigs vs hamsters?

I'm looking at them at the petstore and they look similar... except maybe that the hamster's fur is softer. is there any other difference? how can you tell them apart? none of them have tails. im not looking into getting one as a pet, so no need to go into details of how to take care of them, just how you can tell the difference
Answers:
guinea pigs are MUCH larger. They also bite less. Guinea pigs are also awake during the day whereas hamsters are nocturnal. hamster fur is a little softer and less thick. I personally prefer guinea pigs but recommend getting whichever fits best into your lifestyle.
**** As long as you CLEAN THE CAGE REGULARLY guineas do not smell any worse than any other animal that lives in a cage.****
*** I have NEVER had a problem returning a biting animal to Petsmart they have a 14 day guarantee on ALL pets/fish and i returned a gerbil to them for biting through my sons finger after 2 months, petco on the other hand is another story. I have also only purchased 2 animals that bit from petsmart and all the others have been fine, BUT petsmart cost more generally and it is always awesome to give back to the community so you should check with your local 4H i do not recommend a breeder however as many times they are worse than pet stores.***
hamsters(specially dwafs) are much smaller
Guinea pigs are bigger in size compared to Hamsters, at least most of them. Also they have bigger feces.yea...big
guinea pigs get really big and ugly as they get old and their soft hair changes to hard and stale and they smell so bad i had to get rid of mine because of the smell. Hamsters stay small and soft and cute i kept mine till it had babies and died.
Guinea pigs ROCK...
Hamsters Suck...
In my oppion...Haha
i love my guinea pig..he is awsome..i have had many hamsters in my life and they all die like within 3-5 months and sometimes less..i have had my guinea pig for over 3 years and he rocks! i'd defiantley pick the pig!
Are you SURE you want to compare guinea pigs to hamsters? Guinea pigs are much much bigger... are you sure you're not meaning to compare hamsters to gerbils or something?

Guinea pigs are much bigger, better tempered and will actually allow you to handle them without just trying to run off. I've had many in my lifetime and they're great pets. We currently have one (prince charming) and he is very sweet. He even lets my 2 yr old hold him (with supervision) w/o any issues.

Hamsters are much smaller, tend to just want to run off, but are cute. They are also noctural (sleep during the day, awake at night). GPs aren't, therefore I prefer them as pets.
Guinea pigs are larger than hamsters. They grow to about 10 inches in length and a few pounds. There are pedigreed guinea pig breeds such as Americans, Silkies, Teddies, Texels, Peruvians and Abbysinians. They require vitamin C in their daily diet and are awake during the day. They are usually friendlier than hamsters and prefer handling better than hamsters. HOWEVER...nobody should consider purchasing either of these from a pet store like PetsMart or Petco. They do not regularly handle the pets so they are not used to handling and tend to bite. They also will not take a pet back once it has been sold, especially if it starts biting after it has adjusted to its new home. My advice is to buy from a breeder and your local 4H is the best source.
Hamsters are smaller, thay do have a tail, are nocturnal, and tend to bite more. Guinea pigs grow longer hair(only some, and you'd have to cut it), dont have a tail are, awake during the day and are just plain sweet! (At least mine was.) I prefer guinea pigs because I got bitten too much with hamsters, and because pigs talk a lot.
Guinea pigs are much larger than hamsters. I havent noticed that hamster fur is softer. Guinea pigs come in short hair or long hair and their hair in my opinion is very soft as well. The guinea pigs head is alot larger than a hamster. If you try to pet a guinea pig they sometimes have a squeal like a real pig. Its very cute and they seem to talk to each other. I have never heard a hamster make a loud noise like that.
are you a f ukin stupid idiot or something duuuh you cant tell maybe you should go get a f ukin education.

4 comments:

  1. I had a guinea pig called, Nibbler. Nibbler's a girl. She died a couple of years ago. She had a bump on her stomach and sore feet. My eyes balled out in greif. She was the best friend I could ever have. And now she's gone! We named her Nibbler of futurama. I miss her so much! And the bad part was, I never got to say goodbye! :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always wanted a hamster towards me getting one I heard they bite and its hurts so I got a Guinea pig mine was princess she was so sweet I just had to clean 1 a day to avoid Snelling. Even though the ly might make a mess on the ground with the bedding best choice sadly on month four she passed I miss her

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guineas are more even tempered, and to those saying Petco won't take them back, they will ( I work for them), if you have the receipt( to prove it's from us), if you don't, then we will adopt them back, and adopt them out (We will always try to push adoption before purchase). Idk Petsmarts rules, but I'm sure they are similar. If you had problems taking a pet back, then unfortunately you probably just ran into a dick manager

    ReplyDelete
  4. Most of this is pretty bad information about the animals, their are major differences betweem them. If you are looking for a pet, look for an organization that works with that type of animal and get information from them.

    ReplyDelete