Monday, May 24, 2010

Hamster has a large growth?

My hamster has a large growth in front of one of his back legs. Its been growing slowly over the last few months, and i can't figure out what it is. it's now starting to get slightly raw, as it now rubs when he walks.
He's now starting to eat and drink less.
He belongs to my cousins, who are 4 and 7, so i'd rather not put him to sleep, but i dont want him to suffer either. Does anyone have any ideas to help him with this issue?
Answers:
I don't know how to tell you this but your hamster more then likely has cancer. That lump is a tumor. I would suggest putting it down. Its one of the hardest things to do as a pet owner but it also good for young children to understand that death is a part of life. A little more then a year ago i ha to take my dog to the vet because he was suffering and in pain. Its hard for me to picture my dog in his happier day's because I waited so long.
My hamster had this also and it eventually died. I found out it was a tumor. I know it will be painfull and sad but for the hamsters sack please don't let it suffer anymore.
My boys where 4 and 7 also when their hamster passed away. They cried , and yelled at me because I couldn't do anything for their hamster but I explained to them loved ones pass away and have no more pain.
We buried our hamster in the yard so they can talk to him anytime they want to and it helped.
sweetie its a tumor, hammies get those sometimes, you didn't say how old it is but syrians live 2-4 yrs, and usually at the ending stages they have this. Please have a vet put her down before she suffers too much, and maybe get a new one to help u get over the loss.
Yes, it is most likely a tumor, although this doesn't necessarily mean your hamster has cancer. A majority of tumors in hamsters are benign (non cancerous), yet can grow so large they begin to cause severe discomfort to the animal. If the tumor was malignant (cancerous) the hamster would usually have other symptoms, such as hair loss, hormonal imbalances, or the presence of other tumors.

Removal of the tumor by surgery is always a possibility but can be difficult if the tumor has latched onto blood vessels or muscles in the hamsters leg.

Sometimes, the best idea is to just make sure the hamster is comfortable until you think its in pain or the tumor is interfering with the quality of its life.

In your situation, you might want to talk to your cousins parents and discus the possibly of euthanasia, especially if the tumor is turning raw.

No comments:

Post a Comment