Saturday, May 22, 2010

Grrrrrrrrrrr - anyone else?

Does it bother anyone else about how many questions are asked regarding the health of a pet and it always ends with "I can't afford to take him to the vet..." 95% of the time, the pet needs veterinary attention!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Don't have pets if you can't afford to PROPERLY care for them!!
Answers:
I know that's right! Don't tell me to ake Fido to the vet and don't tell me to go to the doctor. Those are my favorites. RRRRRRRRRRRRarararaararrarrarr...
Preach it, girl!
Makes you wonder what they would do with children when they get sick, huh?
Yeah, when I was poor and had a dog, I knew how to do a lot of the health care for myself and my dog, but if either of us really needed a doctor, we went to the doctor.
yes, that does bother me.
but if you think about it, many people can not afford health care for themselves either... and at least they are trying to find some help.
also, sometimes people just don't want to take their 'friend' to the vet because they are afraid that the vet will tell them their friend is dying... who wants to hear that? i know that is no excuse not to give the pet the proper care, but it is a major factor in a person making that decision (if they can afford the vet or not)
there is also the chance that the concern really isn't a major one, and they just want to save the pet from the stress than can be brought on from a trip to the vet... as well as wanting to avoid all the unneeded extras that some vets tell people they NEED to have... (i took my cat in to have the vet help me decide something, i should have only had to pay for a visit... it ended up costing me almost $400!!! - which was harsh since i was just put on a sick leave from work)
Yes I agree, they shouldn't be sitting here asking strangers when they know they should be going to the vet. I guess they want opinions but you are right, if you can't afford a vet, don't get a pet. That could be a new motto:
IF YOU CAN'T AFFORD A VET, DON'T GET A PET!
Yes, That get's me very upset too. If they were sick they would have to go to a doctor themselves. If they can feed the animal then how do they get them there shots etc.. com' on now money or no money they should be able to afford a vet. Do they ever think about payment options. Geesh Your soo right on this one.
A lot of the blame lies at the feet of the vets!

I have taken a cat into the vet to get weighed just so I could use the right amount of Advantage on this new stray and the vet cleaned the cats ears to see if it had mites.and charged me $15 for the 2 q-tips that I did not ask for.

2 other cats that were sick {different cats %26 times} I was told one was not compatable with life any more...3 different vets, all running labs %26 huge bills.finally 4th vet found that his thyroid was running very high %26 he was saved, but cost me over $1,000 and the same labs run again %26 again by 4 different vets with diff results.

Another rescue had a terrible sinus condition %26 I was told that it could not be cured and he would be on interferon
for life, the condition was so nasty that I could never place him in a home.after spending tons of $ on him I took him to the vet out of town {same one I took other cats to} and he discovered a blade of grass in the cats sinus cavity and promptly cured him. He is in a wonderful home now.

Some people become homeless due to unforseen problems and many of them would rather sleep under a bridge %26 keep their pet.if they give up the pet they have they feel completely and utterly alone in the world and have no reason to continue breathing...that's why some food banks carry pet food.

Sometimes young people on their own for the first time learn these lessons about the cost of keeping %26 feeding a pet for the first time. Just as people with no siblings or friends with young children have little knowledge of babies or toddlers so a person who grew up with no pets must learn
about them from others like us on this board.

Please have patience with them, it's our job to help educate them and you catch more flies with honey...we want them to feel that they can get some kind of help on this board, even if it is just to say that the pet needs an immediate vet visit.

I would never tell an elderly person that just because they live on an extreme budget they should give Fido away...for many it's the only reason they are still getting up each day. There are programs in most cities to help people afford vet care, even if it just gets them a payment plan...that's one pet not being turned into fertilizer or more pet food, one person having love til their last breath.
Grrrrrrr and snap! - Same as having kids. If you cant feed the baby, dont have the baby. Animals are living creatures and as such will at times require proper medical attention. They are not disposable (though some people think they are).
Yes, I totally agree. But..I think some folks here go overboard with the "take it to the vet" thing. I'm not saying that either the asker or other answerers here are guilty of that. But I do see a lot of answers that really do go overboard. I also believe that rather than brow beating a person with the "If you can't afford a vet you shouldn't have the pet" thing, it would be a lot more constructive to coax a person into a vet visit. As in saying that most vets will permit partial payment, etc... I often wonder if some of these folks just give up and don't follow through because answerers have made them feel so horrible and hopeless. And then the pet suffers. For example...someone asked the other day about problems with a baby parrot. At least two answerers said the bird was going to die. Geeezzzzzz! I don't think that was helpful to the bird or the person. And if they took that advice to heart, then why would they bother with a vet if the bird is going to die anyways.
I totally agree ith you. It also upsets and annoys me when people post questions on this site about their animals health and its obvious to anyone with a brain that they need medical help immediatly and the owner is wasting time asking advice from people who are not even vets instead of getting their pet off to the vet asap.

Me and my husband only own a hamster, but a vet bill is still a vet bill. We brought him knowing that if, in an emergancy we could afford the bill at the end. And if I was unsure about any aspect of his health or well being, I would not waste time posting a question online, I would be done that vets in 5 minutes! Totally agree with you.
Peoples financial situations fluctuate regularly. I know for myself...sometimes I have a mountain and sometimes its just a pile. Most of the people on here asking about their pets that say "I don't have enough money" are most likely children or teenagers. I often don't think it is appropriate for children or teens to have pets UNLESS the parent is going to make sure they take full responsibility for the pet.

Also...just as a side note, people probably make sure to mention they don't have much money so that they can get suggestions on what they can do to help pay. I try to put things in prospective and tell the person that most vet.'s offer payment plans, take credit cards, or have programs such as Care Credit that you can sign up for.
You are 110% right!
However, I do understand. My pet will be 10 years old in November and is showing signs of aging. I've spent about $800 dollars on her (German Shepard) over the last year. But she is well worth it. I'm considered getting the insurance, but don't know if I'll be waisting my money. Anyone else have medical insurance for their pet?

No comments:

Post a Comment