Sunday, August 2, 2009

Fragrant plants pet rabbits can eat?

I want to expand my garden for my rabbit. So far I have basil, mint, and lemon grass. What are other pleasent smelling plants rabbits eat?
Answers:
Well, I don't know about fragrant, but here's a list of plants.

Lettuce
Spinach
Broccoli
White Broccoli

Please don't give your rabbit too much. They can get stomach upsets from too many fresh things. Hope this helps! :o)

Sunshine G.
What a wonderful idea! Fresh foods straight from the garden make rabbits very happy.

You may want to consider growing some of the herbs that are found in the Oxbow Hay Company's "Botanical Hay" (details at http://www.oxbowhay.com/shop/showproduct... ). I can't absolutely guarantee they're all safe for rabbits, but as the Oxbow Hay Company is known for selling healthful foods for rabbits, I strongly suspect they're all safe. The herbs used in Oxbow's hay mix are: chamomile, lemon verbena, hibiscus, lavender, rose hips, comfrey, borage, and red clover blossoms.

You may also want to look at the pictures at http://www.rabbit.org/foster-homes/burro... , which is an article about a garden grown for a rabbit. Again, I can't make any absolute guarantees as to safety, but the article was published by the House Rabbit Society, which is known for its excellent advice on rabbit care.

Personally, I'd feed herbs and other decorative plants only in very small quantities, at least at first. What I would grow in large quantities, if I had the space to grow them, are vegetables from the list at http://www.rabbit.org/care/veggies.html... . I'd definitely include parsley, because it's one of the few vegetables I'll eat myself fresh from the garden without any preparation, and it's nice to be able to share snacks with one's four-legged companion.

A partial list of poisonous plants, to AVOID, is at http://www.rabbit.org/chapters/san-diego... . Note that the green parts of a tomato plant are deadly, so rabbits can't be allowed access to tomato plants.

Good luck! I hope you'll take photos and write about your experiences with gardening for your rabbit, because it's a topic of interest to many people who live with rabbits.

No comments:

Post a Comment