Sunday, August 2, 2009

Found baby mice in my backyard?

My dog found a nest of about 4 or 5 baby baby mice (haven't even opened their eyes yet), he scratched one of them, but other than that they're fine. I put the injured one back with the others and put all of the nesting stuff back on top of them.

I know nothing about mice, I don't want to let them die or do anything that will kill them, but eventually I want to mow my lawn, you know?

Also I'm a bit concerned my dog may have scared their mom away, any tips on anything I can do?
Answers:
I think you did the right thing, just make sure to keep the dog away and mow around the area. The mother will probably come back and it's very difficult to raise mice that young, even for those with experience. They'll probably wean and move on in three to four weeks (couple weeks after eyes open), at most.
go to thefunmouse.com you can get all the info you need there
We had baby mice in our yard when I was a child, unfortunately we didn't notice until the lawnmower got them.

Wild mice (or any wild animal) will typically not return to a nest or babies after they have been handled by humans. Mice are known to eat their babies (I had pet mice in high school), if the mother does come back, it's possible she will eat them.

It's sad and I know your heart is in the right place, but there's really not much you can do with mice that small. You can't take them to the pet store where the mice are used to being handled because they are too little, not to mention they might have diseases that will make the other mice sick.
You are luckier than me, my dad took a shovel and killed all the ones I found under my dog house. Just keep the dogs away from the area and hopefully the mom will come back, you may have to take over their care if she doesn't thoug...Good luck!
A good idea would be to find a nice box and put a hot water bottle in it, not too hot, but wrap a nice towel around the bottle. try taking the nest and putting it in the box, be very careful though, and take a paper towel and put some warm water on it for them to drink. make sure you keep them warm, and milk every so often helps. if you have questions, you can email me.. [mouselvr17@yahoo.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment